The original building was once Skipton’s Dewhurst Mill, belonging to the English Cotton Company, whose workers and products reflected the ultimate craftsmanship. This craftsmanship is echoed today in the design and framework of these beautiful apartments that see The Cotton Mill restored to a meaningful and established part of Skipton’s community.
A BESPOKE DEVELOPMENT
The Cotton Mill apartments form part of an established residential community alongside workspaces and a newly proposed health and fitness centre.
At the heart of the complex of former mill buildings is a spacious piazza, which a number of apartments look out over as well as to the wonderful views of Skipton and the Dales beyond.
OWN A LITTLE BIT OF SKIPTON'S HISTORY
Skipton’s Dewhurst Mill played a vital role in the industrial life of the town. With the money made from previous mills rented nearby, the Dewhurst’s built The Belle Vue Mill in 1828, and used it for worsted spinning and weaving. Post being modernised in 1831 the mill was renamed The Cotton Mill.
Eventually a branch of the English Cotton Company in 1898, the mill produced a special product called “Sylko”. Being produced in over 500 shades at the time of its manufacture, Sylko Cotton Thread and Skipton were synonymous – just like Newcastle and Coal, or Sheffield and Steel. The mill workers shared craftsmanship, work ethic, spirit and pride, which are all still qualities reflected in Skipton today, especially in The Cotton Mill.